Man charged for allegedly shooting barbershop owner in National City

first_img KUSI Newsroom, Man charged for allegedly shooting barbershop owner in National City March 29, 2019 CHULA VISTA (KUSI) – Attempted murder and other charges were filed today against a man who allegedly shot the owner of a National City barbershop.Peter Burgos faces 17 years to life if convicted of one count each of attempted murder, assault with a firearm and negligent discharge of a firearm and four counts related to being a prohibited person in possession of a gun, according to the district attorney’s office.Burgos, 44, allegedly walked into the Kings of Fades Barbershop on Highland Avenue between East Third and East Fourth streets about 7:45 p.m. Wednesday, pulled out a firearm and started shooting, according to National City police Sgt. Thomas Wilkins.The owner, David Martinez, was transported to UCSD Medical Center for treatment of his injuries, which were not believed to be life-threatening, Wilkins said.According to a GoFundMe site created to raise funds for Martinez’s medical expenses, he suffered a broken pelvis and fractured arm and is “alert and aware of the outpour of love and support that he’s getting from friends and the community.”Wilkins said investigators believe the gunman had a prior disagreement with one of the people in the barbershop. It was not clear if that person was Martinez.A patrol officer spotted Burgos running from the scene and took him into custody without incident, Wilkins said.Burgos is being held in lieu of $3 million bail, and is due to return to court April 9 for a readiness conference.Related story:Man arrested on suspicion of shooting man in National City KUSI Newsroom Posted: March 29, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

The story behind the Crazy Rich Asians Black Panther viral cast photo

first_imgThe Crazy Rich Asians and Black Panther viral joint cast photo was made possible by Harry Shum Jr. Steven Lam When the casts of Crazy Rich Asians and Black Panther posed together for a photo at the Screen Actors Guild Awards in January, the shot immediately went viral. The picture — which includes Crazy Rich Asians stars Constance Wu and Harry Shum Jr., as well as Black Panther stars Chadwick Boseman and Lupita Nyong’o — lit up the internet with delight.Turns out the moment was made possible by Shum, who just wanted to show his appreciation for the Black Panther ensemble, which won best cast in a motion picture at the awards ceremony.”I remember going to some [Crazy Rich Asians] cast members and saying, ‘Yo, let’s go say congratulations to the Black Panther cast,'” Shum said in an interview. “And then that happened.” “It was just this thing that started. People saw us mingling, and it was like, this is a perfect example of what Hollywood should be like, what it needs to do,” he continued. “It’s not just about your own community. How do you reach out with the community in mind, and collaborate or just support?”Shum spoke at a reception Thursday evening in Los Angeles for the Gold House A100, a list that honors Asians and Asian Americans in tech, entertainment and business. The list, announced earlier this month, includes several Crazy Rich Asians stars, including Shum, Wu, Henry Golding, Awkwafina and director Jon M. Chu. On Friday, Gold House also gave Chu its inaugural A1 award for the “single most impactful Asian of the year.”Crazy Rich Asians and Black Panther were two of last year’s cultural milestones. The two films represented a push in Hollywood to tell more diverse stories and get more people of color on screen and behind the camera. Both movies were critical and commercial successes, and proved that movies with predominantly nonwhite casts could do well at the box office. 2:02 0 Now playing: Watch this: 2019 movies to geek out over Share your voice Danai Gurira, woman of actioncenter_img For Shum, the joint cast photo was an encapsulation of that push for representation. “It’s just a celebration of being there at this award show when so many faces have been erased or have been invisible,” he said. “And just to be there and see [the Black Panther cast] holding those trophies, it’s special.”Outside of entertainment, other heavy hitters honored by Gold House include Google CEO Sundar Pichai, Momofuku chef David Chang and Toronto Raptors point guard Jeremy Lin.Gold House also tries to ensure the success of projects driven by Asian people. A campaign by the group called #GoldOpen aims to buoy opening weekends by urging donors to buy out movie theaters and snap up tickets in bulk. The group made a big push around Crazy Rich Asians last year, which has grossed almost $240 million at the box office to date, and is the top grossing romantic comedy in 10 years. Tags 77 Photos Post a comment Culture Black Pantherlast_img read more

Google says Apples new signin button is better than random passwords

first_img 46 Photos Best Buy Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? CNET Apps Today Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it WWDC 2019: A quick visual recap of Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference keynote CNET may get a commission from retail offers. See All Privacy Google Apple 13:39 $999 Tags Google isn’t opposed to Sign in with Apple.  James Martin/CNET At its annual WWDC event last week, Apple unveiled a new privacy tool called Sign in with Apple, an alternative to single sign-on services offered by Facebook and Google. Apple appeared to take a shot at its competitors by saying that even free services need to respect privacy. Google’s Mark Risher reportedly wasn’t pleased about the jab but thinks the technology will make people safer.”There was a bunch of innuendo wrapped around the release that suggested that only one of them [the logins] is pure, and the rest of them are kind of corrupt, and obviously I don’t like that,” Risher, a director of product management at Google, told The Verge in an interview published Wednesday.Risher said Google hasn’t properly articulated exactly what happens when a user clicks “Sign in with Google,” which could lead to misunderstandings at a time when people feel unsafe in the digital world. Overall, Risher said, using Google’s sign-on option or Sign in with Apple is better than random usernames and passwords. $999 Mentioned Above Apple iPhone XS (64GB, space gray) See It reading • Google says Apple’s new sign-in button is a good idea, despite privacy jab $999 Share your voice Sprintcenter_img Aug 31 • Verizon vs AT&T vs T-Mobile vs Sprint: Choose the best 5G carrier Apple iPhone XS • Apple Comments Boost Mobile Aug 31 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors “I honestly do think this technology will be better for the internet and will make people much, much safer,” he told The Verge. Google didn’t immediately respond to request for further comment.The Sign in with Apple tool lets you use your Apple ID as a credential to sign into websites and apps, instead of typing in your email address. The tool uses your iOS device to verify your credentials, instead of social account logins, which could make you vulnerable to being tracked online. Apple says its sign-In service offers convenience without a privacy toll. Apple’s rivals use their sign-on services to craft a user profile to help deliver targeted ads. Apple generates its revenue from the sale of devices and services, and not ads, so it isn’t as interested in your information. Sign In works on Macs, iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs and Apple Watches. Through the web, it also works on Android and Windows. At WWDC, Apple introduced iOS 13, a new voice for Siri, dark mode, a new Mac Pro that starts at $5999 and more.  Review • iPhone XS review, updated: A few luxury upgrades over the XR Mobile Internet Laptops Desktops Online Preview • iPhone XS is the new $1,000 iPhone X See It $999 8 Now playing: Watch this: See it See It WWDC 2019: Mac Pro, iOS 13, MacOS and more…last_img read more

Congo opposition leader denied opportunity to contest polls

first_imgCongolese opposition leader Jean-Pierre Bemba of the Movement for the Liberation of the Congo (MLC) addresses a news conference in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, 3 August 2018. — ReutersThe election commission of Democratic Republic of Congo has excluded opposition leader Jean-Pierre Bemba and three former prime ministers from the list of approved candidates for December’s presidential election, which was published on Friday.Bemba, a former warlord who earlier in August returned to the Congolese capital Kinshasa to submit his candidacy for president after a decade in prison in The Hague for war crimes, had been seen as one of the frontrunners in the race to succeed incumbent Joseph Kabila.The commission said a separate International Criminal Court conviction for witness tampering was the reason for Bemba’s exclusion from the list.Bemba was acquitted on appeal at the International Criminal Court of war crimes and crimes against humanity for murder, rape and pillage committed by fighters he sent to Central African Republic in 2002 but his witness tampering conviction stands.Opposition parties condemned the election commission’s decision, which can be appealed before the final list is published in September.“Once again the current regime is showing its determination to suppress the electoral process,” they said in a joint statement before the commission published the list.Last month, Bemba placed third in a rare public opinion poll on the likely outcome of the election, winning 17 per cent support.He is popular in western Congo, including the capital Kinshasa, and his exclusion could trigger a violent reaction by his supporters. Street battles between militiamen loyal to Bemba and state forces broke out in Kinshasha after he lost the 2006 election to Kabila.After years of speculation over his intentions, Kabila consented earlier in August to obey the two-term limit imposed by the Central African country’s constitution by not entering his name for the poll set for 23 December.As a parting shot, he picked a former interior minister, who has been placed under EU sanctions, to stand instead.His choice of a die-hard loyalist suggested that the president, who came to power after his father’s assassination in 2001, intends to remain closely involved in national politics. He will be eligible to run again in 2023.Former prime ministers Adolphe Muzito, Antoine Gizenga and Samy Badibanga were also among the six candidates excluded from the commission’s list.last_img read more

Army Corps Plans To Study Improvements To Addicks And Barker Reservoirs

first_imgCraig LeMoult | For Houston Public MediaWater rushes out of the Addicks Reservoir in the days after Harvey’s historical rainfall.The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wants to find ways to improve the Addicks and Barker Reservoirs, which filled to record levels and flooded nearby homes after Hurricane Harvey. A study the Corps plans to conduct would look at ways to harden the reservoirs against the next big storm.Sheridan Willey, with the project management branch of the Corps’ Galveston district, outlined the study for a crowd of flood experts, engineers and architects at Rice University.“It would lead to construction, possible recommendations to improve the upstream and downstream of the existing structures,” she said.The improvements could include new reservoir dams, making the reservoirs bigger and able to hold more water, or improving the way water flows in and out. The study could also lead to changes in how the Corps operates the reservoirs, and how flood warnings get out to the public.That’s timely, as the Houston Chronicle reported this week that as Harvey approached Houston, the Corps forecasted the reservoirs would flood nearby homes. That warning took a couple days to reach the public, and by then, homes were already taking on water.The Addicks and Barker study, along with other regional watershed studies the Corps wants to conduct, isn’t a done deal. Willey said the projects don’t have federal funding in place, and her presentation noted that securing federal money can be challenging in a competitive budget cycle.“For any of our Corps studies, we have to have a local sponsor to share the cost with,” Willey said. “All of those, we actually do have letters of intent [from the sponsors], we just haven’t received the appropriations.”The Corps is also waiting on federal funding for various infrastructure projects that have been approved, including multi-million dollar improvements to flood control measures along Clear Creek, Cedar Bayou, White Oak Bayou and Hunting Bayou. 00:00 /00:44 Listen To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: X Sharelast_img read more