New Liverpool signing Shaqiri criticised by former Stoke team-mate

first_img“But, listen, he’s gone now. We move on and we look to the future. The future for us at the moment is in the Championship.”Sports Breakfast guest co-host Simon Jordan was also not impressed by Shaqiri during Stoke’s disastrous campaign. Liverpool new boy Xherdan Shaqiri has been slammed by former Stoke City team-mate Charlie Adam, who says the Swiss winger went missing for the Potters last season as they were relegated from the Premier League.The Reds confirmed the signing of the 26-year-old Switzerland international forward last week in a £13million deal.He arrives at Anfield having scored 15 goals in 84 league appearances during his three-year stay at Stoke, following spells at Bayern Munich and Inter Milan. 2 “We’ve only lost Shaqiri from last season, so we’ll look on paper as one of the best teams, but if we don’t apply ourselves it will be a tough and a long season for everybody.“We need to start well and no tougher place than Leeds United on the first day of the season.”Listen back to Charlie Adam on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast IN FULL above! Our new signing in our new (third kit) colours. 🔥🔥🔥https://t.co/JUMK3xvAuu pic.twitter.com/amuPk6G4xD— Liverpool FC (@LFC) July 14, 2018It’s seen as a decent signing for the Reds and one which boosts Jurgen Klopp’s attacking options, but former Liverpool midfielder Adam has blasted Shaqiri’s indiscipline.He says the Swiss star was one of the ‘so-called big players’ who ‘got away with murder’ at the Bet365 Stadium last season – as they didn’t perform at their best when the club needed them.Speaking on Thursday’s Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the Adam said: “Was he one of them? Oh, definitely.“When the chips are down you look at your big players, you want your big players to bring magic in one moment in the season, and it times we felt like the so-called big players in the squad never turned up for us and never performed.“Yeah, everybody else could help, but for all the plaudits to so-called bigger players we getting from certain members of the management staff last season – they weren’t producing. “He was a slob last season!” 👀@SJOpinion10 explains why he has been left baffled by the “curious” transfer of @XS_11official to #LFC… pic.twitter.com/a3E1xqciyH— The Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast (@SportsBreakfast) July 19, 2018Adam added that Stoke, under new manager Gary Rowett, are determined to seal an immediate return to the top flight this season.The Potters finished 19th place in the Premier League last season – with a defeat to Crystal Palace in their penultimate game of the season confirming their relegation.But the Scot is hopeful he can help lead the club to the Championship title.“Our aim is to win the league,” he added.“We’re expected to win it, simple as that. As one of the teams to be relegated from the Premier League, we’ll be big favourites. Charlie Adam is aiming to take Stoke straight back to the Premier League Shaqiri has sealed a return to the Premier League with Liverpool, having suffered relegation with Stoke last term 2last_img read more

Why the 49ers’ win over Rams should silence all skeptics

first_imgDo you believe now?You better.Because if the Niners’ four-quarter, 20-7 domination over their top … Click here if you’re unable to view the photo gallery on your mobile device. Skepticism is healthy, and with the 2019 49ers, it was perhaps warranted heading into Sunday’s game against the Rams, despite the team’s 4-0 start to the season.But for those who were holding out in buying into these Niners — for those who wanted to see them play a “good team” — I only have one question:last_img

‘Use technology to improve housing’

first_img1 October 2010The Department of Human Settlements is on a quest to find new technologies that are both cost-effective and quality-oriented to provide better housing for poorer South Africans.The technology needs to be environmentally friendly, sustainable and address other challenges facing housing in the country, Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale said this week during the department’s Alternative Building Technologies Indaba in Johannesburg.The two-day indaba brought together officials from all spheres of government, the private sector, regulatory authorities, scientific, research and tertiary institutions.Sexwale called on delegates to ensure that the indaba was more than just a “talk shop”, urging them to make it a productive working session that would give rise to ideas that could be implemented.Green solutionsSexwale said his department was looking for new ways of building better homes, which included new green solutions and mechanisms for responding to climate change.He elaborated that the department was looking for new ideas on issues such as internal electrification, solar panels, improved sanitation, heating and water reticulation systems, and durable roofing.Technology that benefited people needed to be both cost-effective and sustainable, he said. However, the minister stressed that while the department was cost-conscious and looking for cheaper material, quality would not be compromised.Sexwale added that the focus of his department was to build sustainable human settlements. He described these as places where people “stay, play and pray”. The minister said that this integrated approach was aimed at developing proper suburbs, villages and towns.Rapid urbanisationSexwale said that some old technologies that had produced houses that stood strong over centuries should not be ignored. Modern technology needed to complement and build on century-old initiatives.New technologies should also assist in the identification of available land, the minister added.“Given rapid urbanisation and the rate of population growth, with the diminishing availability of land in relation to the growing number of people, it means we have to apply new technologies to build better homes,” he said.Sexwale said South Africa also needed to pay attention to the experience of other countries such as Malaysia, Singapore, China, Angola and Equatorial Guinea, which have made significant strides in the area of human settlements.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

The current crop insurance landscape

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The USDA projects record corn and soybean yields for 2016, but our regional crop yields look good but variable across Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.“Though not widespread, we’ve seen pockets of drought and flooding that reduced yields and grain quality,” said Jason Alexander, Vice President-Crop Insurance, Farm Credit Mid-America. “Some hard-hit farms are posting corn yields at just 75 to 100 bushels per acre or less and they won’t be the only ones submitting crop loss insurance claims this year.”For some farmers, low grain prices will be the biggest challenge that triggers a claim. So, what are some questions farmers should be asking themselves right now about crop insurance?There are plenty of crop insurance questions to answer. For example, what if your yield is at or somewhat above your guarantee but the corn price is low? What is your coverage level? Is your policy on enterprise units or optional units? Did you choose 80 percent or 85 percent coverage?These details and others can make a big difference in determining if you should be getting an insurance payment and, if so, how much.“Nationwide, corn crop prices are looking like they will be well below the spring guarantee corn price of $3.86,” Alexander said. “If corn is in the $3.00 to $3.35 range and that will likely trigger many revenue-based crop insurance claims.”In these market conditions, it’s a good idea to stay in contact with your insurance specialist to evaluate potential claims and their impact on your farm’s bottom line.AUDIO: Farm Credit’s Jason Alexander visits with The Ohio Ag Net’s Ty Higgins about the current crop insurance landscape.Farm Credit Mid America Full Interview Jason Alexander 11.07.16For more financial tips, insights and perspectives from Farm Credit Mid-America, visit e-FarmCredit.com/insightslast_img read more

Money Monday

first_imgBy Debra PankowHow can service members take action to stop receiving credit card offers in the mail?To reduce unsolicited pre-approval credit card offers, service members can use the Opt Out Prescreen tool to opt out of credit and insurance ads for either five years or permanently. The service is free. To opt out for five years, visit the Opt Out Prescreen website or call 888-OPT-OUT. To opt out permanently, visit the Opt Out Prescreen and complete, print, and mail the form at the address provided on the printout.If service members want to reduce the number of calls from telemarketers, they can register their telephone number with the federal government’s National Do Not Call Registry. The service is free. Up to three telephone numbers can be registered at once using the online form.If service members want to control the amount of commercial e-mails received, they should visit the Direct Marketing’s (DMA) E-mail Preference Service. Registration is free and lasts six years. Three e-mail addresses can be added to the list at once.When a service member opens any credit account, the information disclosure brochure that they receive provides opt-out information. Companies routinely default to opt-in preference and require action for customers to opt out. To be certain that a service member’s opt-out preferences are followed, he or she should follow opt-out procedures specified in the brochure.This post was published on the Military Families Learning Network Blog on September 23, 2013.last_img read more