Missing woman dragged from house found alive

first_imgA West Coast Berbice woman who was on Wednesday morning reportedly dragged from the home of a friend and beaten by her husband was found alive.The woman, Dhanmattie Sumara, called “Jenny”, was reported as missing along with her husband, Martin Baker, 50. On Friday, the couple were found alive and well in Enmore, East Coast Demerara (ECD).Martin BakerAccording to the Police, at approximately 17:30h, ranks, acting on information, went to the home of a man identified as Anil Gosai of Lot 179 Enmore North, ECD, where the duo were found.Sumara reportedly told investigators Baker “pulled her out of the house”, because she refused to give him their child. Further, she stated to Police she was never held against her will.However, Barker was taken into custody as Police continue with the investigation. Sumara had reportedly gone to the home of a friend on Sunday seeking refuge, complaining of being physically abused by her husband. The woman reportedly displayed marks of violence.On Tuesday morning, Barker went to the friend’s home at Warren Village, East Coast Berbice and after not being allowed into the house, broke open the front door. The woman was reportedly dragged from the house against her will.She was also reportedly lashed several times with a cutlass as she was being dragged through the streets.last_img read more

More on last night’s accident on the Cecil Lake Road

first_imgThe Police investigation has determined that a west bound pickup truck lost control and crossed onto the gravel shoulder of the roadway. The driver appeared to have attempted to correct and as a result his vehicle flipped end over end several times before coming to stop in the middle of the Cecil Lake Road. By the time emergency crews arrived the vehicle was fully engulfed in flames and was quickly extinguished by the Fire Department.The driver of the vehicle was ejected during the collison and was transported to the Fort St. John Hospital with serious injuries. The other two passengers in the truck were not injured.At this time the RCMP will not be releasing any further information as there investigation continues. If you witnessed the accident and have further information, please contact the RCMP at 250-787-8140 or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS. Photo: A Truck burst into flames on the Cecil Lake Road Saturday night at around 7pm – Russ Beerling/Energeticcity.caThe RCMP are investigating just what happened Saturday night after a single vehicle collision on the Cecil Lake Road.- Advertisement -At approximately 6:48pm, the Fort St. John RCMP, BC Ambulance Service and the Fort St. John Fire Department responded to a report of a single vehicle accident on the Cecil Lake Road near the Beatton River Bridge.Advertisementlast_img read more

Football super-agent Mendes in Portuguese tax probe

first_img“An inspection procedure is currently underway and it is being carried out in normal conditions,” a spokesman for Mendes’s firm Gestifute told AFP on Wednesday, adding the company had already been subject to a series of similar inspections that had passed off without incident.The investigation in Portugal concerns the past three years and is focusing on whether Mendes had created shell companies for his clients, a charge which he recently denied in a Spanish court investigating alleged tax evasion by Monaco striker Radamel Falcao.Spanish prosecutors have accused Mendes’s most celebrated client Ronaldo of $16.76 million (14.6 million euros) tax fraud and he is due to testify in court on July 31.Portuguese defender Fabio Coentrao, accused of evading nearly 1.3 million euros, made a settlement with the Spanish taxman last week0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000“I have every confidence in him. He is like a big brother for me a father figure in the world of football and godfather to my son,” said Ronaldo in a 2012 documentaryLISBON, Portugal, Jul 12 – Portuguese tax inspectors were examining the accounts of football super-agent Jorge Mendes on Wednesday, his company said, two weeks after he was charged in Spain with tax fraud.The 51-year-old Mendes represents Cristiano Ronaldo, Jose Mourinho, Radamel Falcao and a host of other top earning stars, many of whom are being investigated in Spain over allegations they hid earnings from image rights in off-shore accounts.last_img read more

Body found underwater in wreckage of footballer Sala’s plane

first_img0Shares0000A UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch image showing the rear left side of the fuselage of a plane which disappeared over the Channel two weeks ago, carrying footballer Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson © AAIB/AFP / HOLONDON, United Kingdom, Feb 4 – British investigators said Monday they had spotted a body in the wreckage of a plane that disappeared in the Channel two weeks ago carrying Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala and his pilot.Sala, 28, was flying from France to join his new club, Premier League side Cardiff City, when the light aircraft disappeared on January 21 north of the island of Guernsey. A wreck was found on the seabed on Sunday and closer inspection by a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) confirmed both that it was the missing plane, and that a body was inside.“Tragically, in video footage from the ROV, one occupant is visible amidst the wreckage,” the British government’s Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) said in a statement.“The AAIB is now considering the next steps, in consultation with the families of the pilot and passenger, and the police.”The AAIB also released a grainy image showing a part of the fuselage with the aircraft registration. The depth indicated on the image was 67.7 metres (222 feet).Sala’s father Horacio earlier spoke of his shock that the plane had been found, after a private search organised by the family.“I can’t believe it. It’s a bad dream,” he told Cronica TV from his home in Progreso, Argentina, before the news about the body was announced.Tributes were paid to Sala outside the training ground in Nantes © AFP / LOIC VENANCESala was flying to Cardiff after transferring from French team Nantes in a 17 million euro ($19.3 million) move — a record deal for the Welsh team.The plane, a Piper PA-46 Malibu, vanished from radar around 20 kilometres (12 miles) north of Guernsey, with British pilot David Ibbotson the only other person aboard.– ‘Best we could have hoped for’ –Local police called off the search after a few days, saying it was very unlikely anyone would still be found alive.But Sala’s family launched a crowd-funding campaign for a private search, which raised over 300,000 euros.They hired shipwreck hunter David Mearns, whose vessel used sonar equipment to identify the plane wreckage on Sunday morning within a few hours of starting the search.Another vessel, hired by the AAIB, then used its remotely operated vehicle to survey the seabed.“Based on analysis of ROV video footage, the AAIB investigators on board the vessel concluded that the object is wreckage from the missing Piper Malibu aircraft,” the AAIB said Monday.Suspected debris from the plane washed up on the Normandy coastline in France last Wednesday, further dampening any hopes of finding the footballer and his pilot alive.“This is about the best result we could have hoped for the families,” Mearns had earlier told Sky News.Top footballers were among more than 4,500 contributors to a crowdfunding page to look for the wreckage, launched by Sala’s family.Horacio was the only relative to stay behind in Argentina as the others rushed to France and Guernsey to try to help with the search.“I talk to them every day,” he said.Cardiff and Bournemouth players observed a moment of silent reflection for Sala and Ibbotson © AFP / Geoff CADDICK“They kept saying days were going by, and that there had been zero word on Emiliano, or on the plane.”At Cardiff’s match against Bournemouth on Saturday, Sala’s photograph appeared on the front cover of the matchday programme.The two captains laid floral tributes on the halfway line before what the club called a “silent reflection”.Sala’s name, in the Argentina colours, was also spelled out behind one of the goals as supporters held cards aloft.Cardiff manager Neil Warnock said Sala would have been “really proud” of the team after they won 2-0 in their first home match since the plane vanished.Programme notes, penned by owner Vincent Tan and the rest of the Bluebirds’ board, said events had shaken “Cardiff City to its very core”.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Blow for Tottenham! Inter Milan win race for ‘new Patrick Vieira’

first_img Marseille star Giannelli Imbula Tottenham have been beaten by Inter Milan in the race to land Marseille star Giannelli Imbula.The Italian giants are on the verge of bringing Mauricio Pochettino’s transfer target to the San Siro on a season-long loan deal.It has been revealed by Sky Sport Italia that Marseille are prepared to allow the 22-year-old midfielder to leave the club on loan for a £1m fee and include an option in the deal for Inter to sign him permanently for another £15m at the end of next season.Imbula, who has also been linked with Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal, impressed for the Ligue 1 side last term and has been dubbed the ‘new Patrick Vieira’.The Nerazzurri have been active in the summer transfer market so far and want to add Imbula’s signature to that of Geoffrey Kondogbia, who signed from French side Monaco last week. 1last_img read more

Beat the September blues with Jacksons Hotel’s amazing concert line-up

first_imgThis October the outstanding Katie Markham will recreate the magic of Adele’s three record-breaking albums and perform all of her biggest hits. Other special packages include; Johnny Cash and June Carter Tribute Show, Dancing for Pleasure, and a Bowls Break, all for a great price!For more information you can log on to jacksonshotel.ieBeat the September blues with Jacksons Hotel’s amazing concert line-up was last modified: August 22nd, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cheap hotelgigshotel dealsjack packJackson’s Hotelkatie markhamthe legends of american country tribute show Beat the end-of-summer blues by checking out Jacksons Hotel’s amazing line-up of some of Ireland’s best music acts.For just €120 you get admission to one of these fantastic gigs, bed and breakfast for two, complimentary access to Jacksons’ luxurious leisure facilities, and free parking! You can add dinner for two for just €20!  Britain’s Got Talent Swing Band, the Jack Pack, will take to the stage on the 9th of September. The four-piece swing vocal group were among the finalists on 8th season of Britain’s Got Talent TV show. In 2015 they released their debut self-titled album which reached number 8 on the UK Album Charts! The Legends of American Country Tribute Show will blow you away with authentic costumes, a full live band and stage set on the 16th of September. You’ll hear classics from Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, and Randy Davis – but to name a few! last_img read more

GOLF: DUNFANAGHY CLUB NOTES

first_imgJuvenile notes:Once again we had a lovely morning on Saturday for the weekly Juvenile Competition. There was no doubt about this week’s winner as Patrick Page set the pace early and was never in danger of being caught, even with a small mishap on the last. In second place by some distance was Seamus Mc Ginley. Competition continues next Saturday morning as usual.24/10/2012 Wednesday Open Stableford1st Willie Wilkin 40 pts.2nd Denis McCrory 37 pts. botGross Donal Boyle 36 pts. 3rd Neil McGinley 36 pts. bot1st 9 Mark McHugh 21 pts.2nd 9 Fergus Mullen 22 pts.Css 37 pts.02/10/2012 Friday 14 Hole StablefordWillie Wilkin 30ptsn.c.27/10/2012 4 BBB StrokeBilly Griffin/Charlie Roarty 60Ed Margey/Paddy McCafferty 62Shane Greer/John Hanna 70Michael Wellis/Paddy O’Gorman 63 botn.c.28/10/2012Stewart bam Cup V Par GOY1st Brendan Kelly 4 up2nd Dan Sweeney 3 upGross James Doherty 9 down3rd Fergus Mullen even bot1st 9 Brian McGinley 4 up2nd 9 Michael Doyle 2 upCss 1 upGOLF: DUNFANAGHY CLUB NOTES was last modified: October 29th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:DUNFANAGHY GOLF CLUB NOTESlast_img read more

GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY U13s AWAY TO CONVOY IN LEAGUE

first_imgThe annual Summer Camp takes place at the club from August 20th to 22nd, any queries contact Karen Mc Hugh on 0863827312.The Lotto numbers for this week are 9,12,15,21 this weeks winner is Stelly Dunswortyhy from Ramelton.Congratulations to our Under 11 team who performed so well when they attended a blitz at the Fingalians Club in Swords, Dublin. The players had a wonderful day and thanks goes to all their coaches and mentors and to the many parents for attending. Our under13 boys have a league game on Wednesday 13th away to Convoy with throw in at 7.30pm. The bus will leave the clubhouse at 6pm. sharp.The under 21s are in Championship action away to kilcar tonight August 12th with a throw in at 7pm.The under16s had a good victory last night 11th at home against Carndonagh in the league semi final By 2-13 to 6pts. The final date and opponents has yet to be confirmed.The Junior B Semi final is on this Saturday the 16th August in Ballybofey against Pettigo at 7.30pm. The Seniors and Reserve continue with the league this Sunday August 17th away to Termon with throw in times at 1.30pm. and 3pm.The Minors are due to play Convoy On august 18th in the Championship this game is in Glenswilly at 7.15.The under 16 girls continue with training at the training pitch on Tuesdays at 5.30pm.The Mothers and Others group is attracting great numbers and by all accounts great fun is had by all, its not all about football as their is also a walking group established the ladies meet at the Training field every Wednesday at 8pm. Any queries contact Elaine Mc Fadden on 0861611240.If you wish to order tickets for the All Ireland Semi Final please do so by email to mcgintysharon@eircom.net by 1pm on Tuesday 19th of August. Finally, a massive congratulations to Michael and Neil who both had man of the match performances against Armagh last Saturday.GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY U13s AWAY TO CONVOY IN LEAGUE was last modified: August 12th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Glenswilly GAA noteslast_img read more

TENSIONS RISE AS IRISH WATER MOVE INTO LETTERKENNY

first_imgTENSIONS between Irish Water contractors and homeowners have risen after the company began installing meters in Letterkenny this afternoon.Engineers have been carrying out surveys in Donegal’s biggest town last week.Now workmen are getting ready to install meters on many of the housing estates in the town. Work is expected to get underway proper tomorrow.Residents in Ballymacool however have told Donegal Daily they will protest at any attempts to install meters there.Gardai have already drawn up contingency plans to step up patrols in all areas where contractors are planning to work over the next few weeks.However a spokesman for some residents in Ballymacool told Donegal Daily: “We will hold peaceful protests and have warned neighbours that we do not have the authority to prevent meters being installed when they are away from their homes. “Anyone who wants to object needs to be at their home when work begins.”Similar protests in Castlefinn and Convoy prevented meters being installed.Residents in Drumkeen also persuaded workmen to fill in holes where they had planned to install meters there last week. TENSIONS RISE AS IRISH WATER MOVE INTO LETTERKENNY was last modified: November 28th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:contractorsIrish Waterletterkennylast_img read more

Bank opens Africa’s first ‘green’ outlet

first_img4 November 2013Africa has its first-ever bank that runs completely on renewable energy.Nedbank’s Lansdowne Corner branch, situated in Cape Town, makes use of an innovative hybrid power installation, which effectively makes it a 100% off-the-grid outlet.It harnesses solar and wind energy, converting it to standard mains electricity which is fed back on to the national electricity grid. It is able to offset all the branch’s electricity consumption in this way.Nebank says it transformed the Lansdowne Corner branch as part of its commitment to environmental sustainability in South Africa.The hybrid energy installation means that during some months it generates more electrical power than it uses, making it possible for it to contribute power back onto the energy grid.At this rate the set-up costs for the bank will be fully recouped in two years, where the average branch would only achieve this in five years, the bank says.The new branch builds on the successes Nedbank achieved with South Africa’s first partially wind-powered bank branch in Du Noon, also in the Western Cape, which was unveiled in 2010.The hybrid grid-tied system is capable of supplying the branch’s full annual electricity demand of 70 000kWh, which can easily supply electricity for approximately six middle-income households in South Africa, according to James Carpy, technical director of Kestrel Renewable Energy, which undertook the installation on behalf of Nedbank.“This is a remarkable achievement,” he points out, “particularly since it ensures that the branch’s operations will now have little to no climate change impact, thanks to its vastly reduced carbon footprint.”This system will effectively help to lower South Africa’s total CO2-eqt emissions by approximately 71 tons a year, saving the equivalent of 25 000 litres of petrol.The branch will be fully operational even when there is no power in the area.“This model is symbolic of how renewable energy can give rural communities access to resources where there are infrastructure constraints,” said Ciko Thomas, managing executive of consumer banking for Nedbank Retail. “The off-grid hybrid installation offers proof of what can be achieved when organisations have a genuine vision for, and commitment to, contributing to a greener future for our country.”The bank has also launched two community sustainability outreach projects in the area: Belmore Primary and York Primary schools will now benefit from vegetable tunnels, rainwater harvesting tanks, and sustainability workshops.SouthAfrica.info reporterlast_img read more