Authorities arrest leading human rights activist

first_img Organisation Related documents Authorities arrest leading human rights activistPDF – 130.67 KB News BahrainMiddle East – North Africa to go further Reporters Without Borders calls for the immediate release of Nabeel Rajab, the head of the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights and Director of the Gulf Centre for Human Rights, and the withdrawal of all the charges against him. Rajab was arrested on his return from a visit to Lebanon on 5 May and was placed in custody for an initial period of a week when he appeared in court yesterday.“By arresting Rajab again, the Bahraini authorities have given yet another example of how they shamefully flout fundamental freedoms without fear of reprisals by the international community,” Reporters Without Borders said,Rajab was brought before a Manama court yesterday on a charge of participating in an illegal meeting and urging others to take part in it. He was also questioned by prosecutors about a Tweet in which he allegedly insulted government officials. Charges were previously brought against Rajab in connection with his criticism of the authorities a year ago, when he was also the target of physical violence.As already reported, the Bahraini government used a spurious pretext to abruptly withdraw its permission for a visit by a delegation of free speech NGOs including Reporters Without Borders that had been scheduled to take place from 5 to 10 May. German spyware company FinFisher searched by public prosecutors News Help by sharing this information May 7, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Authorities arrest leading human rights activist Tenth anniversary of Bahraini blogger’s arrest October 14, 2020 Find out more RSF_en News Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives Follow the news on Bahrain Receive email alerts March 17, 2021 Find out more News BahrainMiddle East – North Africa June 15, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Farmingdale Crash: 5th Teen Dies From Injuries, Victims’ Names Released [Update]

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A fifth teenager has died from injuries sustained during a tragic head-on crash Saturday in Farmingdale, police said Monday.Seventeen-year-old Cody Talanian, of Farmingdale, was pronounced dead at 10 p.m. Sunday at Nassau University Medical Center, according to Nassau County police homicide detectives.Talanian is the latest casualty of the horrific collision that claimed the lives of four other teenagers on Saturday, May 10 at 12:04 a.m., when, detectives said, their 2001 Nissan traveling westbound on Conklin Street crossed into the eastbound lanes and was struck by a GMC Suburban. The impact of the collision resulted in two male passengers being ejected, police said, with three passengers and the driver killed upon impact and another victim pronounced dead at a local hospital.The 53-year-old driver of the Suburban and his female passenger have been listed in serious condition. The names of the deceased are as follows—all were current or former students of Farmingdale High School:• Tristan K. Reichle, 17, of Farmingdale• Jesse J, Romero, 18, of South Farmingdale• Carly Lonborg, 14, of South Farmingdale• Noah Francis, 15, of Farmingdale• Cody Talanian, 17, of FarmingdaleFriends and family members have created makeshift memorials near the crash site in remembrance of the victims. Multitudes from the community packed a Mother’s Day prayer vigil for the teenagers at St. Kilian Roman Catholic Church Sunday. Police said the investigation into what led the teens to veer into the oncoming lane is still ongoing.last_img read more