Two newspaper journalists held for 48 hours without being told why

first_img October 21, 2020 Find out more June 5, 2020 Find out more News News The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa News November 7, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Two newspaper journalists held for 48 hours without being told why Follow the news on Burundi Reports Reporters Without Borders is disturbed by the way the authorities are treating two journalists employed by the newspaper Iwacu, Elyse Ngabire and Dieudonné Hakizimana, who were arrested for unknown reasons on 5 November, held incommunicado for 48 hours and released at noon today. They have been told to appear before Bujumbura police chief Arthémon Nzitabakuze on 9 November but it is still not known what they are alleged to have done. “We are obviously pleased by their release but our concern is unchanged,” Iwacu editor Antoine Kaburahe told Reporters Without Borders. “Elyse and Dieudonné were arrested for no reason and then freed for no reason.”“We share Iwacu’s concern about Ngabire and Hakizimana,” Reporters Without Borders said. “It is completely abnormal for the authorities to hold two journalists in this way without giving any explanation. Not even the journalists were told why they were arrested. What are they supposed to have done? What grounds did the authorities have for denying them any visit?”The treatment of the two journalists is the latest in a series of incidents affecting the privately-owned press in recent months. Jean-Claude Kavumbagu, the editor of the online newspaper Net Press, has been held on a treason charge since 17 July while the authorities have been harassing Radio Publique Africaine, a radio station that criticizes the government. Arrested at about 1 p.m. on 5 November, after visiting a friend in Mpimba prison, Ngabire and Hakizimana were taken to the Special Investigation Bureau (BSR), where they were questioned and detained for the next two days.The newspaper’s lawyer, Jean de Dieu Muhuzenge, was refused permission to see them or talk to them while they were held. Yesterday, the newspaper accused the authorities of “flagrantly violating procedures, especially articles 92 and 93 of the code of criminal procedure under which ‘the suspect enjoys all guarantees necessary for the right of defence including the help of a lawyer’ and ‘the lawyer is able to communicate freely with the suspect’.”Reporters Without Borders reached Nzitabakuze, the Bujumbura police chief, in an attempt to find out why the journalists were arrested, but he refused to answer our questions.More information about the case of Jean-Claude Kavumbagu BurundiAfrica center_img November 27, 2020 Find out more RSF_en Burundian appeal court upholds prison sentences for four journalists Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information Four Burundian journalists complete 12 months in arbitrary detention to go further Organisation BurundiAfrica last_img read more

Al Dustour editor sentenced to six months in prison

first_img Reporters Without Borders condemns the six-month prison sentence that a criminal court in the Cairo district of Bulak Abu Al-Ala imposed on 26 March on Ibrahim Issa, the editor of the weekly Al Dustour. Although courts previously dismissed eight other similar complaints against him, Issa was finally convicted under articles 171 and 188 of the criminal code of publishing false information “liable to harm the general interest and the country’s stability.” He was also fined 200 pounds (30 euros).“The authorities are continuing the campaign of intimidation against independent journalists that began at the start of 2007,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Comments about the necessary limits on press freedom made by the judge the day after passing sentence are indicative of the judiciary’s general attitude towards the media.”The case dates back to 5 September 2007, when a member of the ruling National Democratic Party brought a complaint about articles referring to rumours about President Hosni Mubarak’s health. Issa’s lawyer told Reporters Without Borders he thought the conviction was unjustified as eight other complaints brought by pro-government lawyers against Issa in 2007 for the same reasons were dismissed on the grounds that there was “no direct, family link between the plaintiffs and the president.” He added that he intended to appeal.A case involving Issa and the editors of three other weeklies – Adel Hammouda of Al-Fagr, Wael Al-Abrashi of Sawt Al-Umma and Abdel-Halim Qandil of Karama – is meanwhile due to be heard by an appeal court on 5 April. A criminal court in the Cairo district of Al-Aguza sentenced them on 13 September 2007 to a year of forced labour and fines of 20,000 pounds (2,600 euros) for publishing false information “liable to harm the general interest and the country’s stability.” March 28, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Al Dustour editor sentenced to six months in prison RSF_en Organisation EgyptMiddle East – North Africa News Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff EgyptMiddle East – North Africa News January 22, 2021 Find out more February 1, 2021 Find out morecenter_img News to go further News Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Egypt Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution Receive email alerts February 6, 2021 Find out more Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prisonlast_img read more