Kwadwo Asamoah wins Ghana’s Best Sportsman award & Footballer of the Year

first_imgJuventus star Kwadwo Asamoah has been named Ghana’s 2012 Best Sports Personality and Footballer of the Year by the Sports Writers Association of Ghana.Asamoah scooped the biggest prize in Ghana’s most important award ceremony beating Ghana U17 female captain Priscilla Okyere to the coveted to the prestigious Sports Personality Award.Okyere was crowned the Female Player of the Year after skippering her team to win a historic bronze at the 2012 FIFA U17 Women’s World Cup.Asamoah has been rewarded for his sterling displays for Udinese before signing for Juventus last summer and excelled as one of Africa’s biggest footballers in Europe.He was also key for Ghana at the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations where the Black Stars finished fourth.The 24-year-old was also named Ghana’s Player of Year after shrugging off competition from Andre Ayew and Emmanuel Clottey. Also at the Awards Night on Saturday, Asante Kotoko coach Mas-Ud Dramani was named Coach of the Year after leading the Ghana U17 female to win bronze in Azerbaijan.The Black Maidens hence won the Team of the Year for their historic feat.Tema Youth and Ghana U20 midfielder Moses Odjier won the Promising Star of the Year.Berekum Chelsea’s exploits in the 2012 CAF Champions League earned them the Club of the Year honours.last_img read more

Moyes appointed Sunderland manager

first_imgSource: Reuters, cyprus-mail.comTweetPinShare0 Shares Sunderland appointed David Moyes as their new manager on Saturday, replacing Sam Allardyce who has taken charge of the England team.The 53-year-old Moyes, who has been without a club since being sacked by Spanish side Real Sociedad in November, has signed a four-year contract at the Stadium of Light, the Premier League club said in a statement.“I am delighted to have joined Sunderland. I am relishing the challenge and excited by the opportunity,” Moyes told Sunderland’s website.“I have taken over a big British club, with a great support and I’m looking forward to working in the Premier League again.“I look forward to continuing the good work done by Sam.”The Scot’s last managerial job in England was his ill-fated spell in charge of Manchester United in 2013-14, following Alex Ferguson’s retirement.He has also managed Preston North End, with whom he won the Second Division title, and Everton, where he spent more than 11 years.Under Allardyce Sunderland narrowly avoided relegation last season, finishing fourth from the bottom in the 20-team league.“We are absolutely delighted to welcome David Moyes to Sunderland, who was by far and away our first choice,” Sunderland chairman Ellis Short said.“He is a man whose football pedigree speaks for itself and is someone I have long admired.“He was my number one managerial target for the last five appointments, but his desire to honour existing contracts meant we were not able to bring him to Sunderland previously.“To be able to finally welcome him as our manager is fantastic news for the club.”last_img read more

Coach Says Football Player Convicted of Juvenile Rape Earned

Ma’Lik Richmond walks toward the victim and her family to apologize after he and co-defendant Trent Mays were found delinquent on rape and other charges during their trial in juvenile court in Steubenville, Ohio. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic, Pool, File)CLEVELAND (AP) — Youngstown State football coach Bo Pelini says a player convicted of rape as a teen has earned a second chance by staying disciplined, focused and out of trouble.Ma’lik Richmond will be allowed to remain on the team’s active roster after settling a lawsuit Monday against the school, which told him he wouldn’t be allowed to play this season after he made the team.Richmond was 16 in 2013 when he and a Steubenville High School teammate were convicted of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl during an alcohol-fueled party. Richmond served about 10 months in a juvenile prison in a case that garnered international attention through social media and included allegations of a cover-up to protect a storied high school football team.Pelini told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he gave Richmond a chance after hearing him accept responsibility for his conviction.“I didn’t make this decision lightly,” Pelini said. “He was extremely remorseful. I saw a young man who was desperately wanting to better his life and those of the people around him.”Pelini said Richmond stood out from other 21-year-olds because of his focus, discipline and maturity.Richmond was released in January 2014 and attended colleges in West Virginia and Pennsylvania before transferring to Youngstown State in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore.Richmond and his legal guardians spoke with Pelini and YSU President Jim Tressel about joining the team after he enrolled. Pelini researched Richmond’s past before meeting him, then said he made no promises and told Richmond he’d have to earn good grades and stay out of trouble to be on the team.“He stuck with it,” Pelini said. “He went over and above. He knew he had no room for error.”Richmond began practicing with the team as a defensive end after Youngstown State’s loss in the Football Championship Subdivision title game in January. Pelini said Richmond, a walk-on player with no scholarship, showed talent but was a “work in progress.”When The Youngstown Vindicator wrote a story in August noting that Richmond was on the team, a student circulated a petition calling for the school to bar Richmond from playing football. Youngstown State subsequently sent a university-wide email that said Richmond could continue to practice but could not be on the active roster this season and would lose a year of eligibility.Richmond quit the team after learning of the email and went home to Steubenville, prompting Pelini, another coach, and three teammates to visit him and convince him to return to school.Pelini said he told Richmond during the visit: “You need to get your butt back to campus and trust that things are gonna work out. You can’t walk away from school, you’ve come this far. It’s time to stick it out.”It was a mistake not to publicize Richmond’s place on the team or address concerns earlier, Pelini said.“I’m not stupid,” Pelini said. “I understand that the opportunity to be a part of the team raises questions.”Richmond returned to school. Less than two weeks later, he was in class when he learned his father, 51-year-old Nathaniel Richmond, was killed when he shot a judge in a courthouse parking lot and a probation officer returned fire. Pelini said it was another blow to Richmond, whose once-absent father was becoming more involved in his life.Richmond grew up in a troubled home. He began living off-and-on with his youth football coach, Greg Agresta and Agresta’s wife, Jennifer, when he was 8. They became his legal guardians and mentored him as college coaches began recruiting him in high school.Pelini said Richmond’s rape conviction and the intense public attention sharpened Richmond’s focus and determination to rise above his past.“He’s been through a lot,” Pelini said. “It makes you grow up in a hurry.”The day after Richmond’s lawsuit was filed, a federal judge ruled that Richmond could play for Youngstown State. He got on the field during the second half of a blowout win against Central Connecticut State on Sept. 16, but didn’t play Saturday in a 19-7 win over South Dakota State.“He really puts his nose to the grindstone and brings it every day,” Pelini said. “He understands the scrutiny that goes with this story, that with his background, he can’t make another mistake.” read more

No sighting of Mr Obama… yet

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, July 26, 2017 – Providenciales – No report on a sighting of the man or his lovely ladies, but Magnetic Media is informed that former US President, Barack Obama is vacationing in the Turks and Caicos Islands and is hide out on Parrot Cay.   The news has islanders buzzing, as  the Grammy award winning, Nobel Peace Prize winning, rock star type president is a favorite of many islanders.The Obamas have been enjoying the world since leaving the White House and have even visited a private island, owned by billionaire tycoon, Sir Richard Branson in the British Virgin Islands.The reported visit reminds Magnetic Media of the invitation Barack Obama was extended when he was sitting president and taking questions from students at the University of the West Indies in Jamaica.  Turks and Caicos Islander, Katrina King-Smith asked Mr. Obama to drop into the Turks and Caicos and he promised her then, in 2015, that when he does go island hopping after his tenure as leader of the US, the Turks and Caicos would be one of his stops.We are all still hoping though for a sighting of the man, his wife Michelle, Malia, Sasha and maybe even their pet dog, Bo.#MagneticMediaNews#ObamasvacationingintheTCI Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #ObamasvacationingintheTCI Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Man charged for allegedly shooting barbershop owner in National City

first_img KUSI Newsroom, Man charged for allegedly shooting barbershop owner in National City March 29, 2019 CHULA VISTA (KUSI) – Attempted murder and other charges were filed today against a man who allegedly shot the owner of a National City barbershop.Peter Burgos faces 17 years to life if convicted of one count each of attempted murder, assault with a firearm and negligent discharge of a firearm and four counts related to being a prohibited person in possession of a gun, according to the district attorney’s office.Burgos, 44, allegedly walked into the Kings of Fades Barbershop on Highland Avenue between East Third and East Fourth streets about 7:45 p.m. Wednesday, pulled out a firearm and started shooting, according to National City police Sgt. Thomas Wilkins.The owner, David Martinez, was transported to UCSD Medical Center for treatment of his injuries, which were not believed to be life-threatening, Wilkins said.According to a GoFundMe site created to raise funds for Martinez’s medical expenses, he suffered a broken pelvis and fractured arm and is “alert and aware of the outpour of love and support that he’s getting from friends and the community.”Wilkins said investigators believe the gunman had a prior disagreement with one of the people in the barbershop. It was not clear if that person was Martinez.A patrol officer spotted Burgos running from the scene and took him into custody without incident, Wilkins said.Burgos is being held in lieu of $3 million bail, and is due to return to court April 9 for a readiness conference.Related story:Man arrested on suspicion of shooting man in National City KUSI Newsroom Posted: March 29, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Reconstructed WW II Code Cracker Colossus Defeated

first_img Citation: Reconstructed WW II Code Cracker Colossus Defeated (2007, November 16) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2007-11-reconstructed-ww-ii-code-cracker.html A monumental achievment in reconstructing Colossus the first code cracker computer used by Allied forces in World War II. In a timed contest between Colossus and the modern PC Colossus was defeated by a modern program and a 1.4 GHz PC. A fourteen year project to reconstruct the World War II Allied forces Colossus the first code cracking computer ended in a match defeat against a modern 1.4 Ghz PC. The cipher event was instigated by The British National Museum of Computing and Cryptography at Betchley Park home of the newly reconstructed Colossus Mark II. The event challenged all interested parties to compete with Colossus in the deciphering of three enciphered messages. The German participants sent the messages utilizing the Lorenz SZ42 teleprinter using the same radio protocols as the German high command used in World War II.The original Colossus is regarded by many to have been instrumental in shortening the war in Europe by as much as 18 months. The Colossus about the size of a British small lorry was capable of deciphering messages sent by Hitler to his generals. The Nazi based Lorenz SZ40/42 machine enciphered messages that were sent by radio to the German high command. The only reason the messages were capable of deciphering was that the Lorenz SZ40 encryption was not entirely random.The process to unscramble the messages were painstaking and involved several layers of deciphering tasks. First the captured messages sent via the radio were punched on to paper tape. The paper tape was fed into Colossus at the rate of 5,000 characters per second. The inputted data became part of the memory of Colossus. Colossus then analyzed the data to determine the wheels of the Lorenz might have been set up to encipher the message. Various functions of the Colossus were used to perform this statistical analysis. The end result with a little luck thrown in would be a printed tape with the exact wheel of the Lorenz so the message could be deciphered. Generally it took about six hours to decipher a message. After World War II the six known Colossus computers were broken up and destroyed for a variety of reasons. Some 14 years ago Tony Sales and the founders of the aspiring British National Museum of Computing and Cryptography embarked on the project to reconstruct a Colossus using photos and scant information about the original machine. The winner of the cipher event Bonn, Germany resident Joachim Schuth used a program he wrote in ADA programming language to decipher the coded messages. The very noisy transmission was received by Schuth yesterday and his 1.4 Ghz PC took only 46 seconds to decipher the message using his program. The total time involved was two hours from the time when the message was first received to the end when it was actually deciphered. Unfortunately the radio transmission was troublesome due to atmospheric conditions. The Colossus got off to a rough start by getting the message late yesterday and beginning the process of deciphering early this morning when it was announced by Heise a German news service that Mr. Schuth had all ready cracked the code. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Colossus & Reconstructor Tony Sales: BBC – How Colossus Works EU fine on Google weighs on parent Alphabet profits Explore furtherlast_img read more