Hayat TV allowed to resume broadcasting

first_img Follow the news on Turkey News Receive email alerts Organisation Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor August 13, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Hayat TV allowed to resume broadcasting Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit April 2, 2021 Find out more April 2, 2021 Find out more TurkeyEurope – Central Asia to go furthercenter_img April 28, 2021 Find out more TurkeyEurope – Central Asia News News Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law News Help by sharing this information RSF_en The Turkish television station Hayat TV was allowed to resume broadcasting on 6 August after convincing the High Council for Turkish Broadcasting (RTUK), the state satellite company Turksat and the interior and transport ministries that it had never cooperated with Roj TV, a Kurdish station based in Germany which the Turkish authorities regard as an outlet of the banned PKK._______________________________________________________________21.07.2008- TV station’s broadcasts suspended withoutwarningReporters Without Borders condemns the indefinite suspension of Hayat TV’s broadcasts since 16 July at the behest of the High Council for Turkish Broadcasting (RTUK) for allegedly providing film of the Kurdish New Year celebrations to Roj TV, a station based in Germany which the Turkish authorities regard as an outlet of the banned Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK).In reality, the footage was provided by the Kurdish news agency DIHA.“Hayat TV’s suspension without any warning is indicative of the pressure which the Turkish authorities put on certain news media,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The grounds given by the RTUK was Hayat TV’s alleged cooperation with Roj TV when in fact the Turkish New Year footage was obtained from elsewhere. Hayat TV’s suspension must be lifted at once.”Insisting that he has never provided any footage to Roj TV, Hayat TV chief Aydin Cubukçu said he would do everything necessary to be able to resume broadcasting and would seek compensation from the RTUK and the state-owned TV satellite operator Türksat.Cubukçu claimed that, at the behest of the RTUK, Türksat chief executive Özkan Dalbay wrote in a 16 July letter to Turkovizyon, a company contracts Türksat services for a number of Turkish TV stations: “To avoid our disconnecting all of the Turkovizyon platform’s broadcasts, we ask you to terminate Hayat TV’s broadcasts and to henceforth pay more attention to the content of the stations you host.”Hayat TV had been broadcasting since 3 December 2007. Its content is targeted at Turkish workers.last_img read more

Confusion reigns over Neymar PSG debut

first_imgParis, France | AFP | Neymar is poised to make his much-anticipated debut for Paris Saint-Germain on Sunday when they travel to Guingamp in their second game of the Ligue 1 season.However, the French league are still waiting on a transfer certificate from the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) before the Brazilian can finally play.The certificate has to arrive before Sunday if Neymar is to take to the pitch at the Stade du Roudourou this weekend, with it possible that FIFA may have to intervene if the RFEF do not send the document by Friday.But the French Football Federation (FFF) appear confident that the saga surrounding Neymar, who cost PSG a staggering world record of 222 million euros ($264m), is near its end.“The transfer is complete, so this should not last,” FFF president Noel Le Graet told sports daily L’Equipe.“The federation is in contact with our Spanish counterparts. There is no reason for this hold-up to continue. “These are complicated deals, but there is no missing document today.“I do not need to tell you that there are a few problems within the Spanish federation. I do not doubt that this will be quickly solved. Wolves do not eat each other, you know.”Neymar watched from the Parc des Princes stands as PSG cruised to a low-key 2-0 win over newly-promoted Amiens in their Ligue 1 opener last time out, and coach Unai Emery will want the forward available sooner rather than later.The 25-year-old scored 105 goals in his four seasons at Barcelona, and his new team will be expecting him to score far more over the next few years.Although the main goal for the capital club is to finally challenge for the Champions League crown, their first task this term will be to retake the Ligue 1 title from Monaco.Spaniard Emery has no doubt that his new arrival will help the team achieve those lofty goals, whether he makes his debut on Sunday or the following week against Toulouse.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2last_img read more

Six champions on parade as seniors hit the fairways in Bristol

first_img At least six present and former champions will be in action when the 54-hole English Men’s Seniors Open Championship takes place at Bristol & Clifton and Long Ashton Golf Clubs on 5th – 7th June. Reigning champion Alan Squires (Oldham, Lancashire) made history at Aldeburgh 12 months ago when he won the title for the third successive year. This followed his victories at Carlisle in 2010 and at Northants County in 2011. He therefore joined Doug Arnold (Copthorne, Sussex) and David Lane (Goring & Streatley, BB&O) as a three-time winner and if he is successful again in Bristol he will equal Roy Smethurst’s (Crewe, Cheshire) record four titles secured in six years between 2000 and 2005.  Smethurst is again in the field of 240 golfers aged 55 and over as is John Jermine (Sunningdale, Surrey), champion in 2008, and Chris Reynolds (Littlestone, Kent), triumphant in 2009, but all these champions know there are many others capable of lifting the title, not least their senior international colleagues as well as the ‘new kids on the block’, those who have turned 55 in the past year and now qualify as senior golfers.  All seven members of the England team that regained the Seniors Home Internationals title last year are in the field, Reynolds, John Ambridge and Douglas Cameron (both Moor Park, Hertfordshire), Charlie Banks (Stanton-on-the-Wolds, Nottinghamshire), Les Bruckner (Hindhead, Surrey), Tyrone Carter (Stevenage, Hertfordshire), and Andrew Stracey (Littlestone, Kent), any one of whom could be crowned champion. Banks, a full England cap in 1983, won three English Mid Amateur Championships in the 1990s, while Alan Mew (Stoneham, Hampshire, IoW & CI), another strong contender, won the Senior Men’s County Champions Tournament last year, having won the Mid Amateur three times in four years prior to Banks’ successes. Others who could have a say in the destination of the title are Peter Hedges (Wildernesse, Kent), a Walker Cup player in the 1970s, John Baldwin (Sunningdale, Surrey), a prominent performer in the British Seniors for several years, and two more senior caps, Philip Slater (Sandiway, Cheshire) and Stewart King, the general manager at West Lancashire Golf Club. Among the many newcomers to seniors golf and this championship is Richard Latham, a stalwart of Lincolnshire county golf and the General Manager of Woodhall Spa Golf Club. He turned 55 recently and is among a host of ‘new faces’ to the event having passed the senior age milestone.  The competitors will play one round over each course on the first two days after which the leading 60 and ties will complete 18 holes on the final day at Bristol & Clifton. 28 May 2013 Six champions on parade as seniors hit the fairways in Bristol last_img read more

Telegraph titles for England players

first_img14 Oct 2013 Telegraph titles for England players England junior internationals Ashton Turner and Alice Hewson won the boys’ and girls’ titles respectively in the Telegraph BMW Golf Championship at Quinta do Lago, Portugal. Turner, from Kenwick Park in Lincolnshire, overturned a four-shot deficit to win, while Alice Hewson won a battle with childhood friend Samantha Fuller on the final green in front of a 100-strong gallery. Turner, 17, who revealed in the week that he turned down an X Factor live audition to focus on his golf, admitted that he came here to prove a point after finishing fifth in last year’s finals, won by the world’s leading amateur Matthew Fitzpatrick. “I really wanted this one and my aim was to come back stronger,” he said after a closing 69. “Fitz’s win last year and what he has achieved since is a target for everyone now.  It is an honour to follow in Matt’s footsteps and recreate what he has done.” At the start of the final round Turner was four shots off the pace set by Algarve resident Nathan Brader – who pitched in from 90-yards to birdie the first.  But by the turn, Turner shared the lead and he moved ahead on the back nine, notably holing out from 10ft and 17ft on the 10th and 15th, where Brader three-putted. Turner finished the event three clear of Hampshire’s Jack Singh Brar, who also signed off with 69, and of Brader. Meanwhile Alice Hewson, from Berkhamsted in Hertfordshire, led throughout the girls’ event. But she had to withstand a strong challenge from fellow girl international Sammy Fuller before she claimed the title. “So stressful!” were the 16-year-old’s first words, as relief poured out when she knew she’d claimed the title by two shots.  Competition was intensely close between the two girls throughout the 54–hole event, as they returned the same score in both the first and last rounds. But Alice claimed a crucial two-shot advantage in the second round. Alice, who has multiple offers from American universities, said: “I couldn’t control what Sammy might do so I took it one shot at a time.” The two junior winners will now tee it up alongside Paul McGinley, the Ryder Cup captain, at next year’s BMW Championship Pro-Am at Wentworth. “I’m just so excited by this,” Alice added. Leading final scores Boys 211 Ashton Turner (Kenwick Park) 72 70 69 214 Jack Singh-Brar (Brokenhurst Manor) 73 72 69; Nathan Brader  (Portugal) 68 70 76     216 Bradley Moore (Kedleston Park) 75 71 70; Jamie Li (Bath) 69 75 72     218 Ewen Ferguson (Sco) 73 71 74     221 Arrun Singh-Brar (Brokenhurst Manor) 71 77 73 Girls 224 Alice Hewson (Berkhamsted) 76 73 75 226 Samantha Fuller (Roehampton) 76 75 75     235 Ellie Goodall (Selby) 80 79 76; Sophie Keech (Parkstone) 82 75 78 238 Mollie Lawrence (Rochester & Cobham Park) 78 76 84 Caption: Alice Hewson (second left) and Ashton Turner (second right) receive their trophies.last_img read more

Tips for Healthy and Safe Holiday Eating

first_imgFacebook21Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Thurston County Public Health and Social ServicesThe holidays are right around the corner. It can be a stressful time of year and most of us tend to overeat less healthy foods during the holiday season. It’s OK to enjoy your favorite treats during these special times, but if you overdo it you could end up feeling groggy and won’t have enough energy to do all the fun things you want to during this exciting time of year. By eating healthy on most days you will feel good and have more energy to enjoy all the season has to offer. Here are some tips to eating healthier during the holiday season:Don’t skip breakfast. Skipping the most important meal of the day can make you feel overly hungry later in the day which can lead to overeating.Do some physical activity most days of the week. Keeping active will help keep your appetite in check and will also burn some calories from your favorite treats.Bring a healthy dish to the holiday party. That way you know there will be something you can eat that won’t make you feel sluggish later.Don’t linger by the food table at parties. Ever hear the phrase out of sight out of mind?It’s ok to indulge in a few holiday treats. Just balance those treats with healthy options. Photo courtesy: Thurston County Public HealthEnjoy smaller portions of your favorite treats. You don’t have to restrict yourself from the things you love during the holidays. A few bites of your favorite treat will be much more enjoyable than eating it until you feel like a stuffed Thanksgiving turkey.Unfortunately, holiday parties and meals can also be a source of food borne illness. Keep your family and friends safe by using safe cooking practices, including:Clean. Always wash your hands before cooking or serving food; wash produce and fruits under running water before using them; never put cooked food on a plate that previously held raw food.Separate. Keep raw meat, poultry, eggs, and fish away from foods that will not cooked; wash hands, utensils, and cutting boards that had raw meat, poultry, eggs or fish on them with warm water and soap.Enjoy holiday celebrations and keep them safe by ensuring you cook all food, especially meat, completely. Cook. Use a food thermometer to check doneness, especially for meat, poultry, eggs or fish; 145 °F for steak, pork, veal, chops; 160 °F for hamburger; and 165 °F for poultry, combined or stuffed meats, and leftovers.Chill. Put leftovers away in the refrigerator within two hours; use ice to keep foods cold for buffets and parties; chill the serving platter/bowl to help the food stay cool longer.When feeding a crowd, only put out some of the perishable food, resupplying as needed and keeping the rest either hot or cold. This keeps bacteria, which can cause illness, from growing in the food.I hope you can use these tips to have a most pleasant and healthy holiday season.last_img read more