Uganda’s Moses Magogo gets top CAF ExCom job

first_imgFILE PHOTO: Magogo speaks at a recent FIFA meeting with FIFA president Gianni Infantino listeningUganda’s top football official Eng. Moses Magogo has been appointed to the powerful Executive Committee of the Confederation of African Football (CAF). Magogo becomes the first Ugandan onto the executive committee.In wide ranging changes, Zambian legend Kalusha Bwalya was named Chairman of the CAF Technical and Development committee, while the continental body’s first and second vice-presidents and another representative to the world soccer governing body FIFA were named.The Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) president Magogo was also named a member of three other CAF committees at the ongoing CAF Extraordinary General Assembly Congress in Bahrain.  FIFA president Gianni Infantino is attending, as CAF is also naming new officials to the ExCom of the world soccer governing body. (SEE FULL LIST ON PAGE 2)“In recognition of the progress of football development in Uganda and contribution towards African football, I have been appointed a member of the CAF Executive Committee 2017 – 2021 and a member of the CAF Reforms Committee,” Magogo said soon after the decision had been taken.Magogo was thrown into the limelight last year as Gianni Infantino campaigned for the top job in FIFA. The FIFA president visited Uganda in February, on a trip that many said was a campaign to unseat then CAF president Issa Hayatou.Madagascar Football Association chief Ahmad eventually won the CAF top job.The Bahrain meeting is the first for the newly elected CAF administration led by Ahmad.Many more changes have been put in place and are expected by the Ahmad new administration, that in March ended the  Hayatou’s 29-year reign at CAF. At the ongoing Bahrain meeting, Kwesi Nyantakyi of Ghana and Constant Omari Selemani of the Democratic Republic of Congo have been chosen as CAF vice-presidents, the African football body said Tuesday.A statement said the two officials, who had been widely tipped for the posts, were elected by acclamation during an executive committee meeting in Bahrain.They succeed Guinean Almamy Kabele Camara and Suketu Patel, a Seychellois who quit CAF in March after long-serving Issa Hayatou of Cameroon suffered a shock presidential election defeat.It was the first meeting of the executive since Madagascan Ahmad Ahmad beat Hayatou 34-20 in a vote for the top CAF post.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2last_img read more

4 juveniles facing charges for fire at abandoned Delray train station

first_imgAuthorities in Delray Beach have arrested four juveniles for the large fire at an abandoned train station that left one person injured.Delray Beach Fire Rescue was called to the station at 75 NW 18th Avenue around 10:15 am.Over the next couple of hours, crews worked to extinguish the fire.One firefighter was injured after he was knocked down by the force of the flames upon entering the building.  He has since been treated for burns to his neck and ears and has been released from the hospital.Crews were eventually able to extinguish the flames, and allow Tri-Rail services which use the tracks near the building to resume operations around 2:15 pm.After an investigation, authorities found surveillance video showing four juveniles running away from the area. They were then able to track down the teens who confessed to police that they were starting fires inside of the building but lost control of it so they ran.They have since been identified as being between the ages of 15 to 17-years-old and students of Atlantic Community High School.They have been taken to the Juvenile Assessment Center where they each face burglary and arson charges.Large fire at an abandoned train station leaves 1 injured in Delray Beachlast_img read more

Six champions on parade as seniors hit the fairways in Bristol

first_img At least six present and former champions will be in action when the 54-hole English Men’s Seniors Open Championship takes place at Bristol & Clifton and Long Ashton Golf Clubs on 5th – 7th June. Reigning champion Alan Squires (Oldham, Lancashire) made history at Aldeburgh 12 months ago when he won the title for the third successive year. This followed his victories at Carlisle in 2010 and at Northants County in 2011. He therefore joined Doug Arnold (Copthorne, Sussex) and David Lane (Goring & Streatley, BB&O) as a three-time winner and if he is successful again in Bristol he will equal Roy Smethurst’s (Crewe, Cheshire) record four titles secured in six years between 2000 and 2005.  Smethurst is again in the field of 240 golfers aged 55 and over as is John Jermine (Sunningdale, Surrey), champion in 2008, and Chris Reynolds (Littlestone, Kent), triumphant in 2009, but all these champions know there are many others capable of lifting the title, not least their senior international colleagues as well as the ‘new kids on the block’, those who have turned 55 in the past year and now qualify as senior golfers.  All seven members of the England team that regained the Seniors Home Internationals title last year are in the field, Reynolds, John Ambridge and Douglas Cameron (both Moor Park, Hertfordshire), Charlie Banks (Stanton-on-the-Wolds, Nottinghamshire), Les Bruckner (Hindhead, Surrey), Tyrone Carter (Stevenage, Hertfordshire), and Andrew Stracey (Littlestone, Kent), any one of whom could be crowned champion. Banks, a full England cap in 1983, won three English Mid Amateur Championships in the 1990s, while Alan Mew (Stoneham, Hampshire, IoW & CI), another strong contender, won the Senior Men’s County Champions Tournament last year, having won the Mid Amateur three times in four years prior to Banks’ successes. Others who could have a say in the destination of the title are Peter Hedges (Wildernesse, Kent), a Walker Cup player in the 1970s, John Baldwin (Sunningdale, Surrey), a prominent performer in the British Seniors for several years, and two more senior caps, Philip Slater (Sandiway, Cheshire) and Stewart King, the general manager at West Lancashire Golf Club. Among the many newcomers to seniors golf and this championship is Richard Latham, a stalwart of Lincolnshire county golf and the General Manager of Woodhall Spa Golf Club. He turned 55 recently and is among a host of ‘new faces’ to the event having passed the senior age milestone.  The competitors will play one round over each course on the first two days after which the leading 60 and ties will complete 18 holes on the final day at Bristol & Clifton. 28 May 2013 Six champions on parade as seniors hit the fairways in Bristol last_img read more

Former Soccer Treasurer Admits To $400,000 Theft

first_imgBy Jay Cook |FREEHOLD – The former treasurer of the Freehold Soccer League pleaded guilty earlier this week to stealing over $400,000 from the youth recreational and travel league where he volunteered, said Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni.Anthony Gallo, 57, of Freehold Township, pleaded guilty Monday to second degree theft before Superior Court Judge Vincent N. Falcetano Jr. Gallo, the CEO of a financial services firm, faces a maximum term of six years in state prison. He must pay $280,000 in restitution when he returns for sentencing before Judge Falcetano on January 19, 2018, per terms of the plea agreement, Gramiccioni said.An investigation into Gallo’s activity began in March 2016 when Freehold Soccer League president Bryan Patmore alerted authorities about missing funds and unpaid uniform bills connected to the league’s account, according to Gramiccioni. The prosecutor’s office’s Financial Crimes Unit alleged Gallo swiped over $400,000 from those league accounts.Law enforcement authorities maintain Gallo wrote checks to himself, his company, Beacon Financial Services, and “cash” totaling over $300,000, Gramiccioni announced in March. Gallo also allegedly made numerous ATM withdrawals amounting to over $120,000 from the league’s account. He used league funds to pay personal expenses totaling over $25,000, including $12,000 for his Verizon Wireless bills, thousands of dollars at Honda of Freehold, other household bills, and for restaurants and shopping, the prosecutor said.Before being charged, Gallo paid back more than $119,000 into league accounts in an effort to prevent his crime from being detected, Gramiccioni said.A Monmouth County grand jury returned a 14-count indictment charging Gallo of the theft in September, the prosecutor’s office announced at the time.Patmore, the league president, did not return a request for comment by press time on Wednesday. But in April 2016, he penned a post on the Freehold Soccer League’s public Facebook page talking about the “difficult and upsetting situation in which we find ourselves.”“On behalf of the FSL board, I would like to express our deep regret over this serious matter,” Patmore wrote. “We take our responsibility of managing this great club extremely seriously. Our job is to ensure the members of this organization Honor the Children, Honor the Game, Honor the Town and finally Honor the League.”Patmore also said the Freehold Soccer League would create an advisory board of current and former league members to oversee the league’s financial system. A third-party audit company and a certified public accountant would also be retained to review the books every year, he said.“We are soliciting the members of our community to help in any way they can,” Patmore wrote. “Volunteer an hour, volunteer a day, let’s pull together to make this club the best in the state of New Jersey.”This article was first published in the Nov. 16-23, 2017 print edition of the Two River Times.last_img read more

SANTA ANITA TO OFFER POPULAR 2017 WALL CALENDAR AND MUCH MORE ON OPENING DAY, DEC. 26; MATHIS BROTHERS FURNITURE TO ALSO PROVIDE FIRST 5,000 KIDS 12 & UNDER WITH PLUSH THOROUGHBRED TOY

first_img                ARCADIA, Calif. (Dec. 9, 2016)–In addition to four graded stakes, Santa Anita Park will again treat fans to its popular 2017 wall calendar and much more with the beginning of its traditional Winter Meet on Monday, Dec. 26. A fan-favorite for decades, the Santa Anita 2017 wall calendar will be given free of charge to all attendees with paid admission. With a pair of Grade I stakes, the Malibu and the La Brea leading the way, Santa Anita’s Winter Meet opener will again command center stage among racing fans nationwide.Mathis Brothers Furniture, for whom the opening day Grade II, $200,000 Mathis Brothers Mile is named, will provide a plush Thoroughbred toy to the first 5,000 kids 12 and under as well as Mathis Brothers Gift certificates to all paid attendees. Santa Anita will also provide a Family Fun Zone in its spacious Infield Area. (General Admission and parking are free in the Infield, via Gate 6 off of Colorado Place).Santa Anita’s luxurious Chandelier Room will again play host to the highly acclaimed Guest Chef Series as one of LA’s hottest restaurants will provide contemporary cuisine and post-holiday celebration. Ticketing, available online, includes innovative signature dishes throughout the afternoon, six delicious whiskey tastings, live music, a racing program, a wagering tip sheet and more. To purchase tickets, please visit santaanita.com/events.With first post time set at 12 noon, admission gates will open at 10 a.m.Here’s a schedule of opening day events:–Grade I, $300,000 Malibu Stakes for 3-year-olds at seven furlongs.                –Grade I, $300,000 La Brea Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at seven furlongs                –Grade II, $200,000 Mathis Brothers Mile (turf) for 3-year-olds                –Grade III, $100,000 San Simeon Stakes for 3-year-olds and up, at 6 ½ furlongs down hillside turf                 –Free 2017 Santa Anita Wall Calendar                 –Free Mathis Brothers plush Thoroughbred toy to first 5,000 kids 12 and under                –A Mathis Brothers Gift Certificate, free with paid admission                –Craft Beer and Cider Festival on Grandstand Apron (packages available at santaanita.com/events)                –Guest Chef Series in the Chandelier Room featuring a catered menu from one of LA’s hottest restaurants, delicious whiskey tastings, live music and more, visit santaanita.com/events for details                –Infield Family Fun Zone featuring pony rides and much more, visit santaanita.com/events                –Bud Light Lounge, all you can eat buffet, first beer included, racing program and more, visit santaanita.com/events                Entries for opening day races will be taken Wednesday, Dec. 21. For more racing and event information, please visit santaanita.com or call (626) 574-RACE. CRAFT BEER & CIDER FESTIVAL, GUEST CHEF SERIES IN CHANDELIER ROOM, INFIELD FAMILY FUN ZONE ALSO ON TAP AS GREAT RACE PLACE BEGINS WINTER MEET RUNlast_img read more