Robin van Persie reveals he had one doubt about leaving Arsenal to sign for Man Utd

first_imgAdvertisement Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 22 Jul 2020 5:16 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link336Shares Robin van Persie joined Man Utd from Arsenal in the summer of 2012 (Picture: Getty)The ‘little boy inside him’ infamously convinced Robin van Persie to defect from Arsenal to Manchester United, but the former Red Devils striker admits he did have one doubt in his mind when he moved from the Emirates to Old Trafford.The former Netherlands international left the Gunners in acrimonious circumstances in the summer of 2012 when he openly criticised Arsene Wenger’s transfer policy and claimed Arsenal were incapable of matching his ambition.United ultimately beat Manchester City to his signature, agreeing a £24million deal for a player who had just over a year remaining on his contract. Van Persie was an instant hit at his new club, but after enjoying so many battles against the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic and the like, he was unsure how he would be received in the dressing room.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘There was a question from my point of view as well, before I signed, just to check how the older players were looking at me coming to play there,’ Van Persie told United’s official website. Robin van Persie reveals he had one doubt about leaving Arsenal to sign for Man Utd Robin van Persie’s goals fired Manchester United to the 2012/13 title (Picture: Getty)‘I wanted to know if they were ok with it or not, because we had been competing for the last eight years and we are all human. ‘What was important for me was that the guys would accept me as the player and person that I am. After I checked that, everything was positive.’Asked how he found out what his new team-mates thought of him, Van Persie added: ‘Through [Rene] Meulensteen, the assistant coach. He did that and everyone was very positive. After that, it was like the training sessions were different – because it is different with every coach, it is not better or worse, it is just different. More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errors‘But what I noticed with myself, if you look at my body for example, of course during the first couple of years with Arsenal, when I was 25 and 26, if you compare that body physically to the body I had after a year in Manchester, there was more muscles. ‘It was stronger, you could see it from my upper body, from my bum, there were a couple more kilos there and it was all muscle, which must be – because I sometimes I ask myself the question why that was – because of the training sessions and the gym sessions that we did.’MORE: Jack Grealish advised to join big club like Manchester United or Tottenham by Gabby AgbonlahorMORE: Anthony Martial must show more ‘desire and passion’, says Manchester United legend Andy ColeFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Commentlast_img read more

Mikel Leads Under-23 Team to ‘Defy’ NFF

first_imgJAPANESE FAN’S CASH BONUSWhile millions of Nigerians are still celebrating the solitary medal (bronze) won in the football event last Saturday by the gallant Under-23 team at the just concluded Rio Olympics, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the players led by their captain John Mikel Obi have been at daggers drawn over the money donated to the team by a generous Japanese billionaire, Katsuya Takasu.Although the NFF had officially denied the news making the rounds that it wanted to collect the $390,000 on behalf of the team which the reports stated that the players flatly rejected, it was gathered that hours after the team’s victory over Honduras, coach Samson Siasia and Obi received the money from the Japanese plastic surgeon. Earlier on Saturday, the NFF had issued a statement quoting president Amaju Pinnick as saying it was mischievous to say that the body planned to use the donation to offset the backlog of salaries owed its coaches, adding that the NFF was merely conducting an integrity test on the donation and the donor.The Japanese fan in redeeming his pledge to the team wrote out two Citibank cheques — $200,000 in favour of Siasia and $190,000 in favour of Mikel.A member of the team, who craved anonymity, disclosed last night: ”We have resolved that no matter what, we will not surrender this cash to the NFF.“Mikel has insisted all of us will get our share of the money. That we should not mind what the people in the NFF are saying.“He will make available this cash when he comes for next month’s AFCON qualifier against Tanzania in Uyo.”According to him, a meeting by the team had resolved that both players and officials would receive equal amount of the cash, while Obi had said that he would give part of his share to Siasia so that the coach’s share would be more than that of individual player in the squad.It was further gathered that the sharing formula agreed at the meeting would be a flat rate for the 22 players (18 accredited players and four alternate players) and 10 officials.A further check also revealed that the Nigerian Embassy in Tokyo, Japan had written to the Sports Ministry to confirm knowledge of the decision of the Japanese doctor to reward the U-23 team, but the Minister of Sports Solomon Dalung insisted that he would not be part of the generous gift saying: “We want to protect Nigeria’s image.”An official in the Under-23 team said that the desperation on the part of the players to share the money without the support of their principals was borne out of the fact that similar donations to the national football teams by philanthropists in the past were never released to the players.“When the Super Eagles won the African Cup of Nations in 2013, prominent Nigerians made pledges and till date nothing came out till date.“A while ago in 2005 when coach Samson Siasia led Nigeria to come second at the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Holland, former Governor of Balyelsa State, late Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, donated $50,000 to the team through NFF and nothing has been heard about the money till date following the dissolution of the camp after the tournament.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more