White House Opposes House Plan to Bolster DOD Base Budget

first_imgThe House GOP’s plan to shift $23 billion from DOD’s overseas contingency operations (OCO) account to boost the department’s base budget would be “grossly irresponsible,” as it only funds operations overseas through April 2017, White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said Thursday.President Obama’s budget called for using only $5 billion from the OCO account for DOD’s base budget needs. The House plan — which is included in the fiscal 2017 defense authorization bill — would force the next president to request supplemental war funding early next year.The maneuver is “not the way that we should be demonstrating our clear commitment to our men and women who are risking so much to protect our country,” Earnest said.House appropriators are expected to follow the authorization measure’s funding framework in the FY 2017 defense spending bill, reported CQ Roll Call.Earnest also referred to recent comments by Defense Secretary Ash Carter, calling them “uncharacteristically direct.” On several occasions Carter has said the Republicans’ funding scheme is “deeply troubling” and “flawed.”Earnest did not issue a veto threat over the annual defense policy bill, however. Last year, Obama vetoed the measure over its attempt to evade the Budget Control Act caps by stashing tens of billions of extra dollars in the OCO account, which is not subject to the spending caps. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more