Authorities arrest leading human rights activist

first_img Organisation Related documents Authorities arrest leading human rights activistPDF – 130.67 KB News BahrainMiddle East – North Africa to go further Reporters Without Borders calls for the immediate release of Nabeel Rajab, the head of the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights and Director of the Gulf Centre for Human Rights, and the withdrawal of all the charges against him. Rajab was arrested on his return from a visit to Lebanon on 5 May and was placed in custody for an initial period of a week when he appeared in court yesterday.“By arresting Rajab again, the Bahraini authorities have given yet another example of how they shamefully flout fundamental freedoms without fear of reprisals by the international community,” Reporters Without Borders said,Rajab was brought before a Manama court yesterday on a charge of participating in an illegal meeting and urging others to take part in it. He was also questioned by prosecutors about a Tweet in which he allegedly insulted government officials. Charges were previously brought against Rajab in connection with his criticism of the authorities a year ago, when he was also the target of physical violence.As already reported, the Bahraini government used a spurious pretext to abruptly withdraw its permission for a visit by a delegation of free speech NGOs including Reporters Without Borders that had been scheduled to take place from 5 to 10 May. German spyware company FinFisher searched by public prosecutors News Help by sharing this information May 7, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Authorities arrest leading human rights activist Tenth anniversary of Bahraini blogger’s arrest October 14, 2020 Find out more RSF_en News Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives Follow the news on Bahrain Receive email alerts March 17, 2021 Find out more News BahrainMiddle East – North Africa June 15, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Donegal man to be sentenced next week for assaulting former Derry City Footballer

first_img Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Pinterest Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA DL Debate – 24/05/21 Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Twitter Google+ A Donegal man is due to be sentenced next week after pleading guilty to unlawfully and maliciously wounding a former Derry City Footballer last year.The court was told 39 year old Martin Cheung of Ardban Muff assaulted Barry Molloy in a bar in Derry on March 27th last year, resulting in Mr Molloy sustaining a laceration to his left ear and to the left side of his forehead.Muff man Martin Cheung pleaded guilty at Derry Crown Court to a charge of unlawfully and maliciously wounding Barry Molloy.The court was told a second charge of unlawful wounding with intent would be left on the books, not to be proceeded with without leave of the court nor of the High Court.A PPS barrister told Judge Elizabeth McCaffrey that Mr Molloy told him that he did not believe the 39 year old meant to injure him to the extent which he had, nor did he want Cheung to be sent to jail.Defence barrister Eoghan Devlin said that Cheung, wished to acknowledge Mr Molloy’s extremely generous and fair minded views of the incident.The defendant was released on continuing bail and will be sentenced on Tuesday of next week. Twitter Homepage BannerNews By News Highland – June 15, 2018 WhatsAppcenter_img Facebook Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Donegal man to be sentenced next week for assaulting former Derry City Footballer Previous articleJoule Donegal International Rally: Donagh Kelly slides off on SS3Next articleJoule Donegal International Rally: Jennings and Kennedy in first after three stages – cars in Service News Highland Pinterest News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Facebook WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+last_img read more